Wednesday, March 02, 2005

 

A horrible scene unfolds before our eyes!

Remember, I was the one who started this post. I just wanted advice on album stuff... My question had nothing to do with "street cred" or TTM's relation to the "SCENE". The fact that these issues keep getting brought up seems strange to me. Why do you guys even care if TTM sends a representative to your shows? I don't have expectations of anybody, I just like to play and write songs because it is fun.

Darryl: I don't know who you are, but you seem pretty angry at TTM. I didn't come on here asking for your support. But thanks for telling me that you won't give it!

Ian: If you are the Same Ian who I tried to teach jazz theory to back in CJS: Don't talk to me about Musical understanding! I have no idea about what I'm getting into so I asked for help. Instead of just explaining shit to me, you say I'm hopeless and put down my efforts. I hope the irony of the situation isn't lost on you.

Dan: The way you can give advice without turning it in to some sort of insult is always appreciated. I know I've never talked to you, but I hear you are a nice guy.


As “SCENE” by Eliot: (my far removed perspective of the ska scene in Winnipeg)

I write music, lots of it. Various styles, genres, instruments I don't discriminate. In grade 10, a guy named Mat Levier asked me to play bass in a band he was putting together. I agreed, I had never been in a band and I wanted to try writing music in a popular style. I had never heard of ska before. After some rehearsals TTM was playing shows. I was happy because I could practice writing for brass! Over the next few years, TTM played many shows. Some good, some not so good. Every time TTM played out I was excited and surprised by the fact that there are people out there who like to go to shows.

I am not a “SCENE” person. I get musical enjoyment from different things than most people. It is just the way my brain works. A loud bar or club filled with people I don't know is not the ideal situation for me to enjoy and analyze music. Just like I'm sure some of you don't think sitting still for 2 hours and providing polite applause at the end of an orchestral performance is very fun.

For the most part, the “SCENE” came into existence without my realizing. By the time the “SCENE” had formed, it was clear to me that TTM was not part of it. Oh sure, we played shows with lots of other bands but there was hostility that was developing. And so began the troubles.

END

That being said, I still don't understand why other bands would even notice TTM not being at their shows! When I'm performing stage, I'm thinking... “Are we in tune? Did I just fuck up that entrance? What key is this in again? This is fun!”

I do this Ska thing for the music and the people. Not the “street cred” not the “SCENE” and definitely not for the fame and fortune. I do it because TTM are some of my closest friends and I love to perform.

It is clear that we have different reasons for being in bands and playing shows. Despite what this Darryl character would have you believe, we can be different, and still be musicians. You will NEVER hear TTM putting down another band, especially if they came to us asked for advice about something. When I come on here and have to take all this crap from people who don't even know me... It makes me wonder why scenes are so important to some people.

-Eilot

Comments:
The Ska message boards remind me about acting in Winnipeg: We're so self-cannibalizing. Why do we have to rip the shit out of each other instead of helping each other? Is it more fun? I don't think so!
 
I remember that board. It used to be interesting and useful. Then people started being rude. Nothing but petty fighting and insults so I stopped going there. We put that post up when we needed help. We got some good advice which was nice, but mostly we were just met with hostility and insults. Make me happy that we're not part of the "scene". We do what we like to do and have lots of fun! Somehow, we still pull crowds to our shows...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?